|April 3, 2023
Contact: Jon Spieles, 906-293-5131, ext. 4023
DNR offers variety of sponsorship and partnership opportunities
|The Michigan Department of Natural Resources invites businesses and organizations to get involved as sponsors and partners in taking care of and helping people experience the state’s natural and cultural resources, while connecting with the millions who enjoy these resources.
With less than 15% of the DNR’s annual, ongoing budget coming from general state tax dollars, new and creative revenue sources are vital to fulfilling the department’s mission.
“There has been unprecedented interest in Michigan’s natural and cultural resources in recent years, and as we fulfill our mission to protect these places, our goal is to provide world-class visitor experiences that will inspire future advocates for public lands,” said Jon Spieles, acting DNR Marketing and Outreach Division chief. “This is why we are open to a wide variety of sponsorships and partnerships – to help us provide responsible recreation opportunities while highlighting the many businesses that are growing the outdoor recreation industry and the state’s economy.”
Examples of opportunities include:
- Advertising in the annual Michigan Hunting Regulations or Michigan Fishing Regulations digests, reaching hundreds of thousands of Michigan hunters or more than 1 million anglers. Find more information about advertising opportunities at Michigan.gov/DNRDigests.
- Improving accessibility at state parks by sponsoring a track chair. These off-road, electronic chairs can easily handle trails, snow, sand and even up to 8 inches of water, allowing users to explore areas of the parks that traditional wheelchairs might not reach. Michigan is working to have track chairs in more than 20 state parks, with several parks seeing so much use they are already fundraising for a second chair. Learn more at Michigan.gov/DNRAccessibility.
- Expanding visitor services and experiences throughout the DNR parks and recreation system by becoming a concessionaire. Business opportunities include concessions, restaurants, gift shops, rental outfitters, water park operators, guide services and many others. Find current concession opportunities at Michigan.gov/StateParkConcessions.
- Sponsoring habitat projects on state-managed lands through the Adopt-a-Game-Area program and helping grassland wildlife thrive. Support of this program provides valuable habitat for a wide range of wildlife, including deer, turkeys, pheasants, ducks, cottontail rabbits, songbirds and pollinators.
- Joining the “These Goods are Good for Michigan” program. These partners work with the DNR to raise awareness and support through revenue sharing – on products or services of interest to outdoor enthusiasts – for state parks, trails and waterways, and fish and wildlife species restoration.
For a complete list of ongoing options and contacts for each, visit the DNR sponsorship and partnership opportunities webpage, where new opportunities will be added as they become available.
Note to editors: Accompanying photos are available below for download. Caption information follows.
- Bike_rentals: One partnership opportunity the Michigan Department of Natural Resources offers is expanding visitor services and experiences throughout the DNR parks and recreation system as a concessionaire. Business opportunities include rental outfitters and many others.
- Track_chair: Those interested in getting involved with the Michigan Department of Natural Resources can help improve accessibility at state parks by sponsoring a track chair. These off-road, electronic chairs can easily handle trails, snow, sand and even up to 8 inches of water, allowing users to explore areas of the parks that traditional wheelchairs might not reach.