Oakland County Focused on Vaccinations During COVID-19 Surge
Pontiac, Michigan – Two additional schools will be participating in Oakland County Health Division’s school-based COVID-19 vaccine clinics: Pontiac Academy for Excellence on Jan. 26 and Hazel Park Junior High School on Feb. 3, both from 4-6 p.m. About 291,000 Oakland County residents remain unvaccinated, 102,000 of whom are 19 years old or younger.
The Health Division continues to administer pediatric, first, second, third, and booster doses for all eligible residents at its North Oakland Health Center in Pontiac, South Oakland Health Center in Southfield, and other community clinics. To schedule an appointment, click on OaklandCountyVaccine.com or contact the Nurse on Call at 800-848-5533.
New COVID-19 cases in Oakland County continued to rise last week while the percent positivity rate for COVID testing dipped. There were more than 32,000 confirmed and probable cases in the county from Jan. 3 – 16, up 3,000 from the previous week’s report. Residents 18 years old or younger accounted for almost one in four of the new cases. The seven-day percent positivity rate for COVID tests dropped a half-percentage point to 32.76 percent.
Vaccinations along with masking, social distancing, and remaining at home when symptomatic remain the most effective ways to limit the spread of the virus and minimize severe illness.
The Health Division also continues to host drive-through testing for COVID-19 four days a week. To make an appointment or for locations, go to oakgov.com/COVID and click on the COVID Testing button or contact the Nurse on Call.
The following is an update on COVID-19 vaccine coverage for Oakland County residents, according to the State of Michigan COVID-19 Vaccine Dashboard as of Jan. 18, 2022:
- Total eligible residents 5 years old and older: 1,190,128
- Number of residents 5 and older who have received first dose: 898,954
- Number of residents 5 and older who have completed vaccination: 816,212
- Vaccine coverage for residents 5 and older: 75.5 percent
- Total eligible residents 12 years old and older: 1,091,389
- Number of residents 12 and older who have received first dose: 861,644
- Number of residents 12 and older who have completed vaccination: 787,849
- Vaccine coverage for residents 12 and older: 79 percent
- Total eligible residents 16 years old and older: 1,029,737
- Number of residents 16 and older who have received first dose: 823,364
- Number of residents 16 and older who have completed vaccination: 752,690
- Vaccine coverage for residents 16 and older: 80.0 percent
- Total eligible senior residents 65 years old and older: 217,676
- Number of senior residents who have received first dose: 202,363
- Number of senior residents who have completed vaccination: 186,567
- Vaccine coverage for senior residents: 93.0 percent
- Total primary series doses administered in Oakland County: 1,648,523
- Total third and booster doses administered in Oakland County: 380,526