Family And Senior Market Days Promote Healthy Eating In Oakland County
Pontiac, Michigan – Oakland County Health Division’s Healthy Oakland Partnership (HOP) encourages residents to participate in their annual Family and Senior Market Days this summer. Residents with a State of Michigan Bridge/EBT card or Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) Project Fresh coupons will receive a $5 coupon to purchase produce from local farmers on Family Market Days, and residents 60 years and older will receive a $5 coupon on Senior Market Days. Coupons are distributed on a first come, first serve basis. No registration is necessary.
2021 Family Market Day Events:
- July 24, 9 a.m. – 1 p.m. | Oakland County Farmers Market (2350 Pontiac Lake Road, Waterford)
- July 28, 9 a.m. – 2 p.m. | Oak Park Farmers Market (Oak Park High School Parking Lot, 13701 Oak Park Blvd., Oak Park)
2021 Senior Market Day Events (60+):
- September 1, 9 a.m. – 2 p.m. | Oak Park Farmers Market (Oak Park High School Parking Lot, 13701 Oak Park Blvd., Oak Park)
- September 9, 8 a.m. – 1 p.m. | Oakland County Farmers Market (2350 Pontiac Lake Road, Waterford)
“These events help connect residents with locally grown, fresh produce,” said Leigh-Anne Stafford, director of Oakland County Department Health and Human Services. “They also offer free nutrition education and physical activity opportunities to encourage healthy eating and exercise.”
In addition to $5 coupons for produce, the events will include a variety of activities for families and seniors, including Tai-Chi, Oakland County Parks inflatables, raffles, and prizes. The market days this year have been made possible in part by Beaumont Health, Trinity Health, and Henry Ford Health System.
The Healthy Oakland Partnership is a group of organizations collaborating to improve the health and well-being of Oakland County residents by increasing and promoting healthy eating and physical activity opportunities. HOP began hosting Family Market Days in 2009 to engage entire families in healthy eating practices and encourage physical activity. The partnership expanded to include older adults in 2017 by hosting Senior Market Days. The events will adhere to all Michigan Department of Health and Humans Services COVID-19 safety guidelines.
For more information, visit www.oakgov.com/health, @publichealthOC on Facebook and Twitter, or contact Jessica Williams at firstname.lastname@example.org or (248) 563-7792.
Healthy Oakland Partnership (HOP)
Healthy Oakland Partnership (HOP) was launched by Oakland County Health Division in 2009 as a collaboration of local government, hospitals, health care providers, community-based organizations, business, and citizens.
HOP currently has two teams dedicated to specific initiatives:
- Farmers Market Team – Improve the health and well-being of Oakland County by supporting Farmers Markets.
- Youth Team – Improve the health and well-being of Oakland County through programs in schools.