Philo Festival of Media Arts:

ONTV Earns Three Awards

Orion Neighborhood Television was honored at the Philo Festival of Media Arts, earning three awards for excellence in local programming. The Central States Alliance of Community Media was held at Monroe County Community College on Oct. 12. Political Awareness category

ONTV was a winner in the News category for its “ONTV Newscast #1311.” The episode highlighted the latest news affecting the Orion Area, including stories about Dragon on the Lake 2022, Big Rig Gig and the Woodward Dream Cruise. “One of my favorite aspects of my job is going out into the community to cover local events and news,” said station manager Joe Johnson. “We really put a lot of effort into the newscast to make it look as professional as possible and news anchor Stacy Calloway is a big reason for that.  I’m very proud of ONTV News and it’s so gratifying that others appreciate the work that goes into it.”

The “ONTV Newscast #1311” also beat out 18 other nominations to bring home the Excellence in Directing award. “When I heard we were nominated for an award I was happy,” said ONTV volunteer Stacy Calloway. “I wanted us to win, and I wanted us to win big. I am overwhelmed with joy. We look forward to making more memories, making more stories, and wining more awards.”

Scouting on Air won in the Student Magazine Division for its “Scouting and the War in Ukraine” episode. Scouting on Air was developed by the Scouts from the Michigan Crossroads Council and features segments covering current scouting events, product reviews and interviews with various leaders in scouting. “Scouting on Air would never have been possible without the support of Orion Neighborhood Television,” said producer Brandon Kathman. “Watching these youths grow as performers, artists, technicians, and people has been the privilege of a lifetime.”

The Philo Awards in an annual public access television cable TV competition within the Ohio, Indiana, Kentucky, and Michigan region. The “PHILO” is awarded for excellence in community media in various categories.